Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It's me again

OK, I am skipping all the usual excuses as to why I haven't blogged... just scroll down and read my last few posts and pretend I repeated everything from there.  LOL

Anyway, I was reading tonight and thought I would share some of my reading.  It's from a great book (that doesn't actually belong to me and probably really needs to be returned to a dear friend that moved away before I could remember to bring it to her... HEY, I only had the book like a year or something... Love ya, Charity!)  I have read this book and excerpts from this book many many times.  I pulled the book out to share something from it with a dear friend of mine today and it sparked my interest in reading some of it again.  The book is titled "Lies Women Believe" by Nancy Leigh Demoss.  You can get a copy here.  I HIGHLY recommend this book to any woman. 

In my daily life, I sometimes find myself overwhelmed by responsibilities as a mother and wife.  Anyone that has done it knows that being a good mother  and wife is just not an easy task.  Especially when you are tired, irritable, and very very pregnant.  The temptation to lose your temper and yell is one that I must admit is too great for me most of the time.  It is something that God has convicted me about and that I am working diligently (OK.. well.. maybe not diligently) to correct.  I mean, it is up to me to show my children the love of Christ and I somehow do not think that is being accomplished by yelling and wagging my finger when William pulls all the pillows, sheets, and blankets off my freshly made bed for the thirteenth time in a day.  Or as I huff because the living room rug needs to be vacuumed AGAIN when I just vacuumed it this morning.  I am reminded that Christ never yells and wags his finger at me or huffs at me when I ignore his pleas to listen to him for the hundreth time in a day.  Some days being a mom and wife is an uphill climb (come on, you can admit it).  Don't get my wrong, I love it ... it is just the hardest job I have ever had. 

In my reading tonight, I was reminded that it is also the BEST job I have ever or will ever have.  God has called me to be a mother and to point my children to him.  I was reminded that God smiles at me and the fact that I chose to come home and do exactly what he made me to do.  I was also reminded that in the society that we live in, not every child gets the chance to have a mom.  Not every child is given the chance to even live.  I was reminded that although I could be doing many other things with my life, I am glad that I listened to God's call and that I am choosing to live...to really live.  I wanted to share with you the excerpt from this awesome book in hopes of any other mothers out there being encouraged.

The author is describing her refrigerator and how almost every square inch is covered with pictures of families. She is talking about looking at all the many pictures of the families.  She writes:

As I pondered the scene before me , I was struck with the wonder and significance of family - for better or worse. The family is at the heart of what really matters to us all. If things aren't well at home, every other area of life is affected. I looked at those scores of women sitting like mother hens surrounded by their brood of young ones, and I felt an enormous sense of gratitude for the willingness of those women to be givers and nurturers of life.
In the middle of all the photos, I have placed a bumper sticker you may recall seeing many years ago: "Life: What a Beautiful Choice." These women have chosen life by bearing children (something only a woman can do, I might add); and they are choosing life every day...
  • with every meal they prepare;
  • with every load of dirty clothes they wash;
  • with every trip they make to the grocery store, to school, to the dentist, to piano lessons, to soccer practice, or the the shoe store;
  • with every scraped knee they bandage;
  • with every encouraging word they speak;
  • with every night hour they spend rocking a sick or scared child;
  • with every dispute they arbitrate;
  • with every moment they spend building Legos, coloring, helping with math problems, reading a Bible story, or listening to a husband or child describe his day;
  • with every moment they spend interceding for the spiritual growth and protection of their family;

Day in and day out, they are building a home, they are being life-givers; they are laying a foundation and building a memorial that will outlive them for generations to come; they are honoring their Creator in the greatest possible way.     
So, as I tell my children to stop fighting and play nice tomorrow for what seems like the millionth time... I will remind myself that I am honoring my Creator... I am being a life-giver.  What an incredible opportunity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. You're the second person in a month to recommend this book. I really must pick it up!

Hope all is well. Miss you.
Jen

Tiffany said...

You really must! It is an awesome book. I am considering starting up a weekly bible study for women with this book. Maybe a during the day, bring all the kids and let them play while we read and discuss. Is that something you would be interested in?

Beth said...

I read that book as part of a Bible study several years ago. I agree - it is amazing!