Thursday, August 12, 2010

A bit of a scare

So last night was a bit of a scare for me!  We had just finished dinner when I had a couple mild contractions, I brushed them off as braxton-hicks and went about my way.  Then I realized they were still I got home and laid down hoping to make them go away.  It is still a tad early for Izabella (even though I know she would be just fine at this point... I would like to avoid a NICU stay).  I will be 34 weeks tomorrow and I need to be 37 weeks to be considered full term.  Well, the contractions did not stop with me laying down.  So, I climbed in a warm bath and tried to relax.  They actually increased in duration, frequency, and intensity... I started to panic.  I continued to have contractions about every 2-3 minutes and lasting only 45 seconds or so... but the fact that they would not quit was a tad scary.  I have done this preterm labor before with both of my other children and wanted to be sure that the contractions were not going to stop on their own before I ran to labor and delivery.  In my previous pregnancies, I would arrive at labor and delivery to have the contractions stop on their own or be given fluids and then the contractions stop.  There was one time with Emmelyn that I did require meds to get them to stop. So last night as a last ditch effort I drank a huge glass of water, put on the most comfortable PJs I could find (and that would still fit me!), and climbed in to bed.  I turned on some TV to try to distract myself and try to calm down.  They slowly started to go away.  After about 45 minutes they were only coming every 15 to 20 minutes and not lasting very long.  So, I drifted off to sleep and woke up to no contractions at all this morning.  However, now I am achy and tired! I am also apprehensive about doing anything much today!  I am ready for these next few weeks to zoom on by and ready to have a precious and healthy little one snuggled in my arms!

I am still trying to decide if I should give the doctor a call as I do not have an appointment until next Friday... I guess I will see how the day goes and decide from there.

No comments: