Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Strong Willed Child

I have one - want to borrow him to find out what I'm talking about? Yesterday and today I took the child in public and I am certain that DSS will be knocking on my door tomorrow. William is extra cute and sweet when he wants to be and I am certain God made it that way so that when he behaves like he did yesterday and today .... I wouldn't straight out strangle him. lol

Don't get me wrong - I love my son. So very very much. I want nothing more than to go snuggle him up in my arms right now. But, I spanked him so much yesterday and today over his temper tantrums. At home it doesn't bother me to spank him. However, he misbehaved so much yesterday at Barnes and Noble that I actually had an elderly woman come seek me out in the children's book department and actually ask me what I was doing to him... I gave my most syrupy sweet smile and said "Well, I'm not killing him... despite what he may be trying to tell you." She just huffed and turned around and walked out. There were 3 other people that obviously came to find us to make sure William was okay. It was by far the most embarrassing moment of my life. However, I REFUSE to lock myself in my house for the next year while he gets over his terrible twos. I know he is capable of behaving - I have seen him do it. So, if you get calls from DSS asking about me - you know why. I spanked him no less than 6 times in Barnes and Noble yesterday and at least that many times in Target today. The boy likes to get his way and likes to let you know when he is not getting what he wants. I refuse to be one of those parents that just goes "Oh now, honey, you really shouldn't be screaming like that. Now, honey, you shouldn't hit mommy..." (Yes, he hit me...twice today, actually).

So, we are going through an interesting period in our household. I'm thankful to an Almighty God that provided a way for me to stay home with my son in this trying time in his life. I will show him the patience, unconditional love, and kindness that the Almighty shows to each of his beloved. However, I will also show William that BECAUSE of this unconditional love I will "raise [William] up in the way he should go and he will not depart from it." I know it is for his good, but I must admit that I completely and totally understand the phrase my dad so often used when I was growing up "this hurts me more than it hurts you", because my heart broke every single time those little blue eyes would look up at me and he would ask "Why, mama? Why?" and every time I would look down at those little blue eyes, my heart shattering into a million pieces, rub his little blonde head, and say "Because I love you, William. Because I love you and want what is best for you."

So, with that, I'm going to spend time with my hubb and go to bed - I'm exhausted.

No comments: